Slovenia and Croatia Cycling – From Bled to Porečfrom
9-day cycling journey from the high peaks and green valleys of the Julian Alps in Slovenia to the limestone caves of Karst region and further on along a disused railway line of the Parenzana at the Italian, Slovenian and Croatian Coast.
Reviews 6 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
A carefully designed cycling journey, taking in all of Slovenia's highlights - from the high peaks of the Julian Alps to the incredible limestone caves and traditional countryside, cycling on an old disused railway line now intended for cyclists, The Parenzana, from Trieste in Italy to Poreč in Croatia.
- Breathtaking scenery of the Julian Alps with Triglav National Park.
- Picturesque Lake Bled.
- Drive across Vršič (1611 m), the highest mountain pass in Slovenia.
- White water rafting on Soča river - "The Emerald River"
- Cycling through Trenta Valley - along the emerald Soča river.
- Visit Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) with a deep underground canyon.
- Sightseeing of Trieste (Italy), Portorož and lovely Piran.
- Beautiful Istrian hilltop towns: Motovun, Grožnjan,...
- Cycling on former Parenzana railroad trail.
- Experience the charming scenery of the Istrian peninsula (Croatia).
- Duration: 9 days / 8 nights.
- Activity: Self guided cycling.
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: Hotels***
- Date: From May 15th to October 30th.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Start of the tour: Bled, Slovenia.
- End of the tour: Poreč, Croatia.
- Full organisation of the tour.
- Introductory briefing on day 1.
- Self Guided LIFE Booklet with detailed itinerary and route instructions, all tickets with timetables and details with all vouchers for accommodations, transfers ...
- GPS routes/tracks (all stages - all days).
- APP for navigation (login with phone or tablet) and phone holder.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 8 nights in 3*accommodations, bed & breakfast.
- Activities: White water rafting on Soča river, Bovec.
- 8-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube, repair kit, basic rain jacket, ...
- Entrance ticket to the Škocjan Caves (UNESCO).
- Private transfers according to the itinerary:
- Transfer from Ljubljana to Bled (day 1).
- Transfer from Kranjska Gora to Trenta Valley via Vršič Mt Pass, 2116m (day 2).
- Transfer (train) from Nova Gorica to Štanjel (day 5).
- Transfer from Poreč to Ljubljana (day 8).
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the trip.
- Food and drinks: lunch and dinner on all days and all beverages.
- Luggage transfer between towns - you carry all your gear in panniers from days 2-7.
- Items of personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- High season surcharge: 160€ (Jun 15 to Sep 15th)
- Optional extras:
- *Bike rental: E-touring bike: 40€ / day
- Single supplement: 420€
- Day-to-day luggage transfer: 450€ / group
* e-bike rental includes: bike rental with helmet, lock, pump, spare tube, Squirt chain lube and repair kit.
After check-in at your accommodation and a short briefing with our staff, where you will receive bikes and booklet with maps and instructions, you will have the rest of the day to explore Bled on your own.
You can cycle around Bled Lake to check the bikes, take a boat to the island, visit the breathtaking Vintgar Gorge or over 1000-year-old Bled Castle.
Accommodation: Hotel or private accommodation *** in Bled, bed&breakfast.
Bled - Kranjska Gora - Bovec
First day of cycling will take you through breathtaking Radovna valley towards Kranjska Gora - a small Alpine town, located at the foot of the mighty Julian Alps.
From Kranjska Gora a private transfer will take you to Trenta valley, across Vršič mountain pass, which is the highest mountain pass in Slovenia (1611m). You will continue cycling through Trenta valley, along the emerald Soča river to the town of Bovec - the adrenaline capital of Slovenia.
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Bovec, bed&breakfast.
Bovec - Tolmin
In the morning you will go white water rafting on Soča river. The rapids on the river are level III-IV.
At the end point of rafting, your bikes will be waiting for you to start today's cycling tour. The route will take you through small villages located by the Soča river. In the town of Kobarid you will have a chance to stop and visit the well-known WW2 museum, or do a short hike to Kozjak - one of the most magical waterfalls in Slovenia.
From Kobarid you will cycle towards Tolmin. In the afternoon you will be able to visit a nature's wonder - The Great Tolmin Gorge.
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Tolmin, bed&breakfast.
Tolmin - Goriška Brda (Collio)
Route continues following the river. You will cycle past well-known Most na Soči and Kanal, from where you will ascend towards well-known Goriška Brda - a region famous for producing some of Slovenia's finest wines.
55km / 4-5 hour / backroads
Accommodation: Hotel or tourist farm in Goriška Brda, bed&breakfast.
Medana - Štanjel - Škocjan Caves - Trieste (Ita)
In the morning you will cycle to Nova Gorica and take a train to a small town of Štanjel, from where you will cycle to Škocjan Caves. You will visit these breathtaking caves, before cycling further on towards Trieste in Italy.
52km / 5-6 hour / backroads
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Trieste, bed&breakfast.
Trieste to Portorož via Parenzana Trail
Today is the first day of cycling on the Parenzana Trail. First, morning transfer from Trieste to Muggia by boat.
From first station of this former railroad, you will cycle out of Muggia cross the border with Slovenia and continue along the coast towards the town of Portorož. In the afternoon, an optional visit of a small, medieval town of Piran, located on a tiny peninsula.
35km / 3-4 hour / Parenzana trail
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Portorož, bed&breakfast.
Portorož to Motovun (Cro) via Parenzana Trail
Just outside of Portorož, you can stop for a visit of Sečovlje Nature Park - the biggest and the oldest salt pans in Slovenia, where salt is still produced in a traditional way, based on a 700-year-old method.
After crossing the Croatian border you will cycle on the most scenic part of the Parenzana. The path will take you through medieval hilltop towns of Buje, Grožnjan and Motovun.
57km / 5-6 hour / Parenzana trail
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Motovun, bed&breakfast.
Motovun to Poreč via Parenzana Trail
On your last day of cycling, you will cycle on the last part of Parenzana - from Motovun downhill towards the beautiful coastal town of Poreč. Enjoy a relaxing afternoon at the Coast, take a walk on the beach and watch a breathtaking sunset.
39km / 3-4 hour / Parenzana trail
Accommodation: Hotel*** in Poreč, bed&breakfast.
Poreč - Private transfer
After breakfast your trip concludes. A private transfer will pick you up and take you to Ljubljana city, Ljubljana Airport or Trieste.
Accommodation is pre-booked in 3* hotels and tourist farm:
Day 1: 3* Hotel in Bled, Slovenia (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 2: 3* Hotel in Bovec, Slovenia (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 3: 3* Hotel in Tolmin, Slovenia (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 4: Tourist farm in Medana, Slovenia (double/twin room with breakfast and dinner with wine tasting).
Day 5: 3* Hotel in Trieste, Italy (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 6: 3* Hotel in Portorož, Slovenia (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 7: 3* Hotel in Motovun, Croatia (double/twin room with breakfast).
Day 8: 3* Hotel in Poreč, Croatia (double/twin room with breakfast).
- Shoes – sneakers or any appropriate shoes for biking
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof, softshell
- Comfortable clothes
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, any other sun protection
- Water bottle (preferably reusable)
- First aid (a small basic kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, gauze, antibacterial ointment, sterile pads)
The tour is considered to be moderate to challenging. There is an average of 40 kilometres of biking each day with many ascends and descends. A good physical condition is essential.
The tour is not appropriate for children younger than 15 years and for pregnant women.
- Breakfast is included in every accommodation. You will have plenty of opportunities to stop in local restaurants and shops all along the way for lunches, snacks and dinners.
- We advise that you to start your daily trips early in the morning to allow yourself enough time to stop often and enjoy the scenery! And escape the hot summer sun!
- As the weather can change quickly, do not forget to bring your rain-covers and a change of extra dry clothes. We also advise that you to place pack things in plastic bags before packing them in the waterproof panniers.
- All customers are required to notify us before booking the tour of any medical conditions, as well as dietary restrictions. All medications can and should be brought to all activities in the program. If you suffer from any medical conditions, we strongly suggest that you consult your physician before booking a tour to receive an expert medical advice. We are more than happy to discuss and recommend the most suitable adventure for you based on your conditions, but cannot ultimately be responsible for your health.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.
We include the hire of your quality bike in the overall cost of the tour: you don’t need to bring your own or pay extra to hire one locally. We provide full bike set: a pump, lock, Topeak tool, spare inner tube and tire levers. Helmet, brand new quality water bottle (0.5l) and side panniers are also included in the price of the tour.
- You will be travelling with panniers attached to your bikes, so be ready to pack accordingly.
- You can keep your remaining luggage with our representative, who will deliver it to you on last day.
- Upon request a day-by-day luggage transfer can be organised. Send us an email for more details.
- Each day you will be staying in a different accommodation. You will be staying in smaller 3* hotels in double/twin rooms.
- The example of the room:
We are specialists for self guided tours and holidays throughout Croatia and Slovenia, with creative itineraries that feature the best of each region at the greatest possible value to you. With over 15 years of experience, we know all the secrets of self guided tours.
We are a team, which passionately believes that adventure and sustainable travel makes the world a better place. We are committed to creating unique stories, successful tours, itineraries and holidays.
At LIFE Adventures we have carefully chosen itineraries to showcase the best of the region. Our itineraries are designed with flexibility and comfort in mind. In many places we stay for two nights, giving you the option to cycle, walk or take a break and relax instead.
Trek Hybrid DS 3 and DS 4
Upgrade with E-bike:
Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 E-bike
The variety of scenery, activities and nature of the trail made this our best cycle tour to date.
We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and found the mixture of biking, rafting, tour of the caves and the vineyard stay outstanding. It gave us a great experience of Slovenia and Croatia. Really impressed with how clean and how beautiful Slovenia was. It is going to become a tourist destination in time to come with so much to offer.
Hi Tina! Made it to Porec and bikes etc have been picked up by your staff. We are now enjoying a gin and tonic at our hotel. We have really enjoyed our bike trip and will write you a review on the ups and downs when we get a chance. Many thanks for organising a great adventure for us. Will be in touch. Kind regards!
The Slovenia with Parenzana self guided cycling tour is one to recommend, beautiful scenery riding along excellent bike paths and roads, staying in first class accommodation, luggage was always waiting on our arrival at hotel, meals provided were excellent. Would highly recommend this trip to anyone wanting to cycle in Slovenia and Croatia.
My wife and I want on Life Adventures 8 day self guided Slovenia and Parenzana cycling adventure. Honestly one of the best weeks of our lives. Great pre trip communication. Excellent briefing at beginning of trip - big folder with detailed directions, maps and all we needed. Great bikes. Fabulous variety of scenery. Perfect level of challenge for the cycling. With van transfers for the alp pass. Great extras - rafting, cave visit and winery lunch. Good quality hotels. Great value - I calculated it would cost not much less to organize it all privately. Couldn't recommend too highly.