Slovenia and Parenzana Cycling
9-day cycling journey from the high peaks and green valleys of the Julian Alps to the incredible limestone caves, mountain lakes and then continue along an old disused railway line the Parenzana Rail Trail in Croatia.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
This cycle journey has been carefully designed to take in all of Slovenian highlights – The high peaks of the Julian Alps to the incredible limestone caves, mountain lakes and traditional countryside – and then continue along an old disused railway line now catering to cyclists, the Parenzana Rail Trail, from Trieste in Italy to Poreč in Croatia.
- Breathtaking scenery of the Julian Alps with Triglav National Park.
- Experience the charming scenery of the Istrian peninsula (Croatia).
- Picturesque Lake Bled.
- Drive across Vršič (1611 m), the highest mountain pass in Slovenia.
- White Water Rafting on Soča river – “Emerald river”
- Cycling through Trenta Valley – Along the emerald Soča River.
- Wine tasting dinner in Goriška Brda, a wine growing region bordering Italy.
- Visit Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) with a deep underground canyon.
- Sightseeing of Ljubljana – a lively and green capital city.
- Sightseeing of Trieste (Italy), Portorož and lovely Piran.
- Beautiful Istrian towns: Motovun, Grožnjan,…
- Cycling on former Parenzana railroad trail.
- Duration: 9 days / 8 nights.
- Activity: Self guided cycling.
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: Hotels***
- Date: From May 15th to October 15th.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Star of the tour: Arrival city is Ljubljana or Ljubljana Airport.
- Full organisation of the trip.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 with a welcome drink.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary and route instructions, train/bus timetables and details with all vouchers.
- Maps with marked route.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 8 nights in 3*accommodation hotel, half-board.
- Activities: White water rafting on Soča River, Bovec.
- 8-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube, repair kit, bacis rain jacket, …
- Entrance ticket to the Škocjan Caves (UNESCO).
- Private transfer from Ljubljana to Bled.
- Private transfer from Kranjska Gora to Trenta Valley via Vršič Mountain pass (1611 m).
- Train tickets: Nova Gorica – Divača.
- Private transfer from Poreč to Ljubljana (day 8).
- Main luggage transfer from Bled to Poreč.
- Tourist tax and Vat.
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the trip.
- Food and drinks: lunch and dinner on all days and all beverages.
- Luggage transfer between towns – you carry all your gear in panniers from days 2-7.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- Upgrade with E-bike: Trek Super Commuter Hybrid E-bike: 20€/bike/day
- Single supplement: 180€
Ljubljana to Bled
Upon you arrival to Ljubljana airport, a private transfer to Bled will be waiting for you. After check in at your accommodation and a short briefing with our staff, where you will receive bikes and booklet with maps and instructions, you will have free rest of the day to explore Bled on your own.
You can cycle around Bled lake, take a boat to the island, visit the breathtaking Vintgar gorge or over 1000-year-old castle.
Accommodation hotel in Bled***, half-board.
Bled - Kranjska Gora - Bovec
First day of cycling will take you through breathtaking Radovna valley towards Kranjska Gora – small Alpine town, located at the foot of the mighty Julian Alps.
from Kranjska Gora a private transfer will take you to Trenta valley, across Vršič mountain pass, which is the highest mountain pass in Slovenia (1611m). You will continue cycling through Trenta valley, along the emerald Soča river to the town of Bovec – an adrenaline capital of Slovenia.
Accommodation hotel in Bovec***, half-board.
Bovec - Tolmin
In the morning you will do white water rafting on Soča river. The rapids on the river can go up to level IV!
At the end point of rafting, your bikes will be waiting for you to start today’s cycling tour. The route will take you through small villages located by the Soča river. In town of Kobarid you can stop and visit the famous WW2 museum, or do a short hike to Kozjak – one of the most magical waterfalls in Slovenia.
From Kobarid cycle towards Tolmin. In the afternoon visit the nature’s wonder – Great Tolmin Gorge.
Accommodation hotel in Tolmin***, half-board.
Tolmin - Goriška Brda - Nova Gorica
Route continues following the river. You will cycle past famous Most na Soči and Kanal from where you will ascend towards famous Goriška Brda – region famous for producing some of Slovenia’s finest wines. Continuing cycling, just before arriving to Nova Gorica town, you will pass by the magnificent Solkan bridge – a 219.7 -metre arch bridge over the Soča River.
Accommodation hotel in Nova Gorica***, half-board.
Nova Gorica - Škocjan Caves - Trieste (Ita)
In the morning a private transfer will take you to small town of Štanjel, from where you will cycle to Škocjan Caves. You will visit these breathtaking caves, before you will be headed cycling towards Italy and Trieste.
Accommodation hotel in Triste***, half-board.
Trieste to Portorož via Parenzana Trail
Today is the first day of cycling on the Parenzana trail. From first station of this former railroad, you will cycle out of Trieste, cross the border with Slovenia and continue along the coast towards town of Portorož. In the afternoon, visit small, medieval town of Piran, located on a tiny peninsula.
Accommodation hotel in Portorož***, half-board.
Portorož to Motovun (cro) via Parenzana trail
Just outside of Portorož, you can stop for a visit of Sečovlje salt pans – the biggest and the oldest salt pans in Slovenia, where salt is still being produced in a traditional way based on a 700-year-old method.
After crossing the Croatian border you will cycle on the most scenic part of the Parenzana. The path will take you through medieval hilltop towns of Buje, Grožnjan and Motovun.
Accommodation hotel in Motovun***, half-board.
Motovun to Poreč via Parenzana trail
On your last day of cycling you will cycle on the last part of Parenzana – from Motovun downhill towards the beautiful coastal town of Poreč. Enjoy relaxing afternoon by the coast and take walk on the beach and enjoy the breathtaking sunset.
Accommodation hotel in Poreč***, half-board.
Poreč - Ljubljana by van
After breakfast your trip concludes. A private transfer will pick you up and take you to Ljubljana airport.
Accommodation is in 3* hotels.
Day 1: 3* Hotel in Bled / Double room with breakfast.
Day 2: 3* Hotel in Bovec / Double room with breakfast.
Day 3: 3* Hotel in Tolmin / Double room with breakfast.
Day 4: 3* Hotel in Nova Gorica / Double room with breakfast.
Day 5: 3* Hotel in Trieste (Italy) / Double room with breakfast.
Day 6: 3* Hotel in Portorož (Slovenia) / Double room with breakfast.
Day 7: 3* Hotel in Motovun (Croatia) / Double room with breakfast.
Day 8: 3* Hotel in Poreč (Croatia) / Double room with breakfast.
- Shoes – sneakers or any appropriate shoes for biking
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof, softshell
- Comfortable clothes
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, any other sun protection
- Water bottle (preferably reusable)
- First aid (a small basic kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, gauze, antibacterial ointment, sterile pads)
The tour is considered to be moderate to challenging. There is an average of 40 kilometres of biking each day with many ascends and descends. A good physical condition is essential.
The tour is not appropriate for children younger than 15 years and for pregnant women.
- Breakfast is included in every accommodation. You will have plenty of opportunities to stop in local restaurants and shops all along the way for lunches, snacks and dinners.
- We advise that you to start your daily trips early in the morning to allow yourself enough time to stop often and enjoy the scenery! And escape the hot summer sun!
- As the weather can change quickly, do not forget to bring your rain-covers and a change of extra dry clothes. We also advise that you to place pack things in plastic bags before packing them in the waterproof panniers.
- All customers are required to notify us before booking the tour of any medical conditions, as well as dietary restrictions. All medications can and should be brought to all activities in the program. If you suffer from any medical conditions, we strongly suggest that you consult your physician before booking a tour to receive an expert medical advice. We are more than happy to discuss and recommend the most suitable adventure for you based on your conditions, but cannot ultimately be responsible for your health.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.
You will get bikes with full equipment – bike panniers, spare tire and repair kit, bike lock and helmet.
- You will be travelling with panniers attached to your bikes, so be ready to pack accordingly.
- You can keep your remaining luggage with our representative, who will deliver it to you on last day.
- Upon request a day-by-day luggage transfer can be organised. Send us an email for more details.
- Each day you will be staying in a different accommodation. You will be staying in smaller 3* hotels in double/twin rooms.
- The example of the room: