Emerald River Walking Tour – Julian Alps, Sloveniafrom
4-day walking holidays along the emerald green Soča river in the Julian Alps, taking in the breathtaking scenery of Soča valley and majestic mountain peaks. This is one of the most beautiful and easy hiking tours in Slovenia.
Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Fairly Easy
Group Size Small Group
4-day walking holidays in the Julian Alps, taking in the breathtaking scenery of Emerald Soča river and majestic mountain peaks.
Slovenians proudly say that they live on the »Sunny side of the Alps« and one can easily see that the saying is true. Julian Alps stretch in the north western corner of Slovenia, bordering Austria and Italy. They offer numerous easy, moderate or difficult trails for hiking and walking enthusiasts.
- Experience breathtaking scenery of high mountain peaks.
- Magical Triglav National Park.
- Visit the picturesque towns of Kranjska Gora, Bled, Bovec, Tolmin and Kobarid.
- Walk through Trenta Valley, along the emerald Soča River on a walking trail - The most beautiful trail in the Julian Alps.
- Sightseeing of Kobarid – small, but lively town and a culinary capital of Slovenia.
- Visit Kozjak Waterfall.
- Enjoy Lake Bled.
- Optional: White Water Rafting on Soča River (grade III/IV).
- Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
- Activity: Self guided walking.
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: Apartments (1) and Hotels ***
- Date: From May 15th to October 30th.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Start of the tour: Bled or Kranjska Gora.
- Full organisation of the trip.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 (Bled or Kranjska Gora).
- Booklet with detailed itinerary, all vouchers and route instructions.
- Maps with marked routes.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 2 nights in Hotel 3*accommodation, breakfast included.
- 1 night in mountain hut or apartments in Trenta Valley
- Private transfers from Tolmin to Most na Soči.
- Train ticket: Most na Soči to Bled.
- Storage of main travelling luggage.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the tour.
- Food and drinks: lunch on all days.
- Main travel luggage transfer between towns - you carry all your gear in backpack from days 1-4.
- Items of personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- Single supplement: 120 €
Walking from Kranjska Gora to Trenta Valley
Walking from Kranjska Gora to Trenta Valley via Jasna Lake and Vršič Mountain Pass (1611 m). Accommodation in the village of Trenta.
Hike: 7-8 hours / moderate walking / Elevation: 805 m
High summer season: Mountain Hut in Trenta Valley / Dormitory room. Breakfast included.
Low season: Pension in Trenta Valley. / Double/twin room. Breakfast included.
Walking from Trenta to Bovec
Walking from Trenta to Bovec on Soča mountain trail.
Hike: 4-6 hours / easy to moderate walking.
Accommodation in Hotel*** in Bovec. Breakfast included.
Bovec - Kobarid
Walking from Bovec to Kobarid via well-known Kozjak Waterfall on a trail by the Soča river.
Hike: 5-7 hours / easy to moderate walking.
Accommodation in Hotel*** in Kobarid. Breakfast included.
* Optional: Rafting on Soča river (2-3 hours, grade III-IV)
** Optional: Dinner in Hiša Franko (world-known Chef Ana Roš).
Walking from Kobarid to Tolmin and train to Bled
Walking from Kobarid to Tolmin on the high walking trail. Afternoon train from Most na Soči to Bled, where your adventure concludes. Optional walk around Lake Bled.
Hike: 5-7 hours / easy to moderate walking.
Walk around Lake Bled: 1 hour / easy walking.
Accommodation is in a combination of 3* hotels (comfortable with en-suite) and mountain hut (one night).
Day 1: Mountain Hut / Dormitory room or Pension*** in Trenta Valley / Double room
Day 2: 3* Hotel in Bovec / Double room with breakfast
Day 3: 3* Hotel in Kobarid / Double room with breakfast
Hiking boots are an essential part of equipment. Boots must be appropriate for rocky terrain, with a good grip and light as well as waterproof (especially in case there is still snow on the mountains). It is important that the shoes are comfortable and worn in (not brand new - in order to avoid blisters).
Most meals and drinks have regular prices, but water, soft drinks and beer are more expensive than in the valleys.
Here are some examples:
Coffee - 2 eur / 1,5l bottled water - 4,40 eur / Beer - 4 eur
Goulash - 8 eur / Veggie/meat stew - 6 eur / Sandwich - 4,50 eur
Please note that the huts don't accept credit card payments! Cash only.
Most huts unfortunately don't offer showers.
Here is a list of what is good to have for a climb in summer months:
- Shoes – walking boots (preferably with ankle support).
- Socks – warm, coolmax.
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof.
- Trousers – long.
- Shirt or active underwear – good evaporation and warm.
- Mid – layer – warm (fleece).
- Warm hat, gloves – wool or fleece.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip salve.
- Rucksack – light, easy to fold, strong material, adjustable straps.
- Hiking poles.
- Food and drinks: fruit, sandwiches, energy bars and a sufficient amount of water/drinks.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.
Never underestimate extreme and unpredictable mountain weather. Come prepared for any weather conditions. Keep in mind that you will spend your days high in the mountains. Even on hottest summer days, the weather in the mountains can change quickly. Thunderstorms are relatively common in July and August. They develop rather quickly, but usually build up in the late afternoons and evenings, so it is best to start hikes early in the morning.