Slovenia Cycling Holidays
10-day cycling holidays in Slovenia: cycle from Triglav National Park to the wine growing Brda hills, mysterious Karst region with its underground world and to the Slovenian capital - the charming city of Ljubljana.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
10-day cycling holidays in Slovenia, with 8 days of cycling from the Triglav National Park to wine growing Brda hills and further on to the mysterious Karst region, concluding the trip in the capital city of Slovenia - the lovely Ljubljana.
Exploring on two wheels around the western part of Slovenia. Experiencing the breathtaking scenery of green alpine valleys, clear meandering rivers and majestic mountain peaks.
Circling the unspoilt Bohinj Lake, visiting the picturesque Lake Bled and its area, cycling to a well-known ski resort of Kranjska Gora and enjoying a short drive across the highest Slovenian mountain pass at 1611m - Vršič. Cycling through the Trenta Valley along the emerald Soča river all the way to Bovec. Descending down the Soča river on a raft and cycling further along the river towards the magical wine-growing region of Brda. Enjoying a homemade dinner with wine tasting at a local tourist farm. Visiting the well-known Škocjan Caves, which are under UNESCO heritage and an overnight stay at the Lipica Stables, known for their white Lipizzaner horses. Concluding the trip in the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana. The best way to get in touch with Slovenian culture and local people.
- Breathtaking scenery of the Julian Alps with Triglav Park.
- Enjoy Alpine Bohinj Lake.
- Discover picturesque Lake Bled.
- Stay in charming pensions run by local people.
- Picturesque drive across Vršič (1611 m), the highest mountain pass in Slovenia.
- White Water Rafting on Soča river - "The Emerald River"
- Cycling through Trenta Valley - Along the emerald Soča river.
- Wine tasting dinner in Goriška Brda, a wine growing region bordering Italy.
- Visit Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) with a deep underground canyon.
- Sightseeing of Ljubljana – A lively and green capital city.
- Duration: 10 days / 9 nights.
- Activity: Self guided cycling tour.
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: hotels*** and tourist farms/pensions***
- Date: From May 1st to September 30th.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Start of the tour: Arrival city is Ljubljana or Ljubljana Airport.
- Full organisation of the tour.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 with a welcome drink.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary and route instructions, train timetables and all details with vouchers.
- Maps with marked route.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 9 nights in 3*accommodation, half-board.
- Activities: White water rafting on Soča River, Bovec.
- 10-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube and repair kit.
- Entrance ticket to the Škocjan Caves (UNESCO).
- Private transfer from Ljubljana to Bohinj.
- Private transfer from Kranjska Gora to Trenta via Vršič Mountain Pass (1611 m) and from Tolmin to Nova Gorica.
- Train tickets: Bohinjska Bistrica - Bled.
- Train tickets: Nova Gorica - Divača.
- Main luggage transfer from Bohinj to Ljubljana.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the tour.
- Food and drinks: lunch on all days and beverages at dinner.
- Luggage transfer between accommodations (you carry needed luggage in panniers from day 2 to 9) (optional supplement for luggage transfer)
- Items of personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- Single supplement: 200 €
- Upgrade with E-bike: Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 - 30 €/day
- Luggage transfer between accommodations on all days: 400 eur
Bike Information >>
Transfer from Ljubljana to Bohinj (2 hours) and an introductory briefing.
Upon arrival to Ljubljana or Ljubljana Airport, you will be transferred to your accommodation in Bohinj, Triglav National Park. After check-in, an introductory briefing will be held at the accommodation, where you will receive all needed info and gear for your cycling adventure. Afternoon free to relax, explore the town on foot, cycle around the lake or rent a canoe and explore on water.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bohinj, half-board
Free day to explore the lake and surrounding mountains by bike or on foot.
The lake is 2 kilometres wide and 6 kilometres in length, with the path that circles it 12,5 kilometres long. It lies in the centre of the Triglav National Park and occupies a dramatic position surrounded by a spectacular mountain ridge. We recommend you take a walk or a cycle around the lake (3 hours) for a nice and easy warm-up to your cycling tour. You can also cycle to Ukanc and hike to Savica Waterfall, take a cable car ride up to Mt. Vogel (1500 m) and enjoy the views of the lake from up above.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bohinj, half-board
Cycle to Bohinjska Bistrica (10km) and continue by train to Bled.
This morning you cycle on a pleasant cycling lane between Lake Bohinj and Bohinjska Bistrica, passing small towns en route. You take a train from Bohinjska Bistrica to Lake Bled and upon arrival, cycle to your accommodation. After check-in, the day is free for sightseeing. This lovely alpine town is immersed in natural beauty. It is worth hiring a wooden boat or taking traditional Pletna boat ride to visit the Island. If the weather is good it is well worth hiking up to the viewpoint on Osojnica hill, where many of the classic images of Bled lake and castle are taken.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bled, half-board.
Cycle to the ski resort Kranjska Gora (50 km).
The first big cycle of the trip takes you from Bled through the Radovna Valley to the Slovenian ski resort town of Kranjska Gora, located near the border with Austria and Italy. The scenery continues to be dramatic as you leave behind Bled and cycle to the northern edge of the range. The majority of the route is uphill with around 340m ascent over the distance, so an early start is recommended. A scenic cycling route on a former railway line will take you from a small town of Mojstrana to Kranjska Gora, both at the foothills of some of the most majestic Slovenian mountains.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Kranjska Gora, half-board
Cycle from Trenta valley to the town of Bovec (20 km).
Today's cycle begins with a private transfer across Vršič, at 1611m the highest mountain pass in Slovenia, to just past the small village of Trenta. Soča is regarded by many to be one of the most beautiful rivers in Europe. It flows through narrow gorges and over broad gravel beds. The river’s characteristic turquoise hue and the wild beauty of its rapids and ravines make it a wonderful place to explore. The cycle takes you along the river, right to the town of Bovec, the adventure capital of the Julian Alps.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bovec, half-board
White water raft on the Soča river and cycle to Tolmin (40 km).
After cycling along its banks, today is an opportunity to take in some white water rafting on a section of the Soča river (the best rafting in Slovenia!). At the drop-off point, your bikes will be waiting for you to continue the cycle via Kobarid to Tolmin, past small towns and villages on the undulating, flat or downhill route. You will have an option to stop at Kobarid for a short hike to the Kozjak Waterfall or a visit of the WWI Museum.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Tolmin, half-board.
Cycle further through the valley and up to the wine region Brda (40 km).
From Tolmin the route ascends above the valley floor towards the wine region of Brda. Enroute you pass by the village of Kanal and then ascend sharply to the rolling hills of Brda. In the evening there will be a wine tasting dinner where you have the opportunity to sample the excellent wines of the region.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Medana, Goriška Brda, half-board.
Cycle to Nova gorica and by train to the Unesco listed Škocjan caves (20 km).
From Dobrovo, you continue through the region where small vineyards, orchards of cherry trees and quaint villages intermingle in the landscape. Cycle on to the train station at Nova Gorica, where you take the train to Divača and cycle a bit further on mainly flat to slightly undulating roads through the Slovenian Karst region. Guided visit of the spectacular Škocjan Caves with a deep underground canyon, a flowing river and unique limestone formations. After the visit to the caves, cycle further to nearby Lipica, hometown of the well-known Lipizzaner horses.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Lipica, half-board
Cycle through the countryside to Branik, then transfer to Ljubljana (35 km).
From Lipica you continue cycling through the Karst region famous for Teran (rich red wine variety typical for the region) and prosciutto. Cycle through typical towns such as Sežana, Tomaj and Štanjel, to the train station at Branik where you will be picked up for a transfer to Ljubljana. At this point you will receive back your main luggage and will have a chance to repack all from the panniers. Bikes and all cycling gear will stay with us and you will now explore the city on foot.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Ljubljana, half-board
Transfer to Ljubljana Airport (1h).
The trip concludes after breakfast. You will have transfer to the Ljubljana airport arranged in time for your flight. You may also choose to extend your stay in Ljubljana for further sightseeing of the lively Slovenian capital. In this case transfer to Ljubljana Airport can be arranged on a later date.
Accommodation is in a combination of 3* hotels, which are comfortable with en-suite and a tourist farmhouse/pension in the wine region of Brda and tourist pension in Bohinj.
Day 1: 3* Hotel in Bohinj / Double room, half-board.
Day 2: 3* Hotel in Bohinj / Double room, half-board.
Day 3: 3* Hotel in Bled / Double room, half-board.
Day 4: 3* Hotel in Kranjska Gora / Double room, half-board.
Day 5: 3* Hotel in Bovec / Double room, half-board.
Day 6: 3* Hotel in Tolmin / Double room, half-board.
Day 7: 3* Pension - Tourist Farm in Medana / Double room, half-board.
Day 8: 3* Hotel in Lipica / Double room, half-board.
Day 9: 3* Hotel in Ljubljana / Double room, half-board.
Trek Hybrid DS 3 and DS 4
Upgrade with E-bike:
Trek Super Commuter Hybrid E-bike
We include the hire of your quality bike in the overall cost of the tour: you don’t need to bring your own or pay extra to hire one locally. We provide full bike set: a pump, lock, Topeak tool, spare inner tube and tyre levers. Helmet, brand new quality bidon (0.5l) and side panniers are also included in the price of the tour.
- Shoes – sneakers or any appropriate shoes for biking
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof, softshell
- Comfortable clothes
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, any other sun protection
- Water bottle (preferably reusable)
- First aid (a small basic kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, gauze, antibacterial ointment, sterile pads)
The tour is considered to be moderate to challenging. There is an average of 40 kilometres of biking each day with many ascends and descends. A good physical condition is essential.
The tour is not appropriate for children younger than 15 years and for pregnant women.
- Breakfast is included in every accommodation. You will have plenty of opportunities to stop in local restaurants and shops all along the way for lunches, snacks and dinners.
- We advise that you to start your daily trips early in the morning to allow yourself enough time to stop often and enjoy the scenery! And escape the hot summer sun!
- As the weather can change quickly, do not forget to bring your rain-covers and a change of extra dry clothes. We also advise that you to place pack things in plastic bags before packing them in the waterproof panniers.
- All customers are required to notify us before booking the tour of any medical conditions, as well as dietary restrictions. All medications can and should be brought to all activities in the program. If you suffer from any medical conditions, we strongly suggest that you consult your physician before booking a tour to receive an expert medical advice. We are more than happy to discuss and recommend the most suitable adventure for you based on your conditions, but cannot ultimately be responsible for your health.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.
You will get bikes with full equipment – bike panniers, spare tire and repair kit, bike lock and helmet.
- You will be travelling with panniers attached to your bikes, so be ready to pack accordingly.
- You can keep your remaining luggage with our representative, who will deliver it to you on last day.
- Upon request a day-by-day luggage transfer can be organised. Send us an email for more details.
- Each day you will be staying in a different accommodation. You will be staying in smaller 3* hotels in double/twin rooms.
- The example of the room: