Cycle Parenzana and Istria – Slovenia, Croatia
7-day cycling holiday, cycling the Parenzana Trail - The Route of Health and Friendship - a former railway route, which connected Trieste to Poreč and cycle from Poreč to Pula via beautiful Rovinj town.
Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
7-day cycling holiday on the Parenzana - The Route of Health and Friendship - a former railway route, which connected cities and towns from Trieste to Poreč and cycle from Poreč to Pula via beautiful Rovinj area.
Begin the journey in an Italian port town of Trieste. Cycle on the Parenzana Trail to Slovenia and go past coastal towns of Izola, Piran, Portorož and Sečovlje. Visit the Sečovlje Nature Park, where salt is still taken from the sea by the 700-year old traditional recipe. Travel further to Croatia, past old hill-top towns of Buje, Grožnjan, Motovun and continue towards the coast, to the lovely towns of Poreč, Rovinj and Pula.
- Experience the breathtaking scenery of Istrian peninsula.
- Connect three countries on one trail: Italy, Slovenia and Croatia.
- Cycle on a former railway route with notable remains from former times.
- Unique coastal towns of Piran, Portorož, Poreč, Rovinj and Pula.
- Wine growing region of Istria with its distinct red soil (Terra rosa).
- Taste the richness of Istrian agrotourism.
- Homemade culinary specialities, rich culture, friendly people and stone architecture.
- Beautiful Rovinj old town.
- Duration: 7 days / 6 nights.
- Activity: Self guided cycling.
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: 3* and 4* hotels.
- Date: From April 1st to October 31st.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Start of the tour: Trieste (Italy).
Parenzana was a 123-kilometre long railway line, which connected 33 towns and villages in Istria, from Trieste to Poreč. Today the route passes the territories of three countries: Italy - 13 kilometres, Slovenia - 32 kilometres and Croatia - 78 kilometres. The railway opened in 1902 and it gave life to the region it ran through; on its 123 kilometres long route, the small, slow train was puffing every day through hilly and diverse Karst areas, carrying passengers, salt from Piran and Sečovlje salt pans, olive oil from Buje and Motovun, fruit, vegetables, Istrian stone and wine. The railway line was closed in 1935. The route was recently reopened as a beautiful cycling path.
- Full organisation of the cycling trip - holiday.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 with a welcome drink.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary and route instructions, train/bus timetables and details with all vouchers for accommodations, ...
- Maps with marked routes.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 7-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube, repair kit, basic rain jacket, ...
- 6 nights in 3* and 4* hotel accommodation with breakfast.
- Private transfer from Pula to Trieste (day 7).
- Main luggage transfer from Trieste to Pula.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the tour.
- Food and drinks: lunch and dinner on all days.
- Luggage transfer between towns - you carry all your gear in panniers from days 2-6. (optional supplement for luggage transfer)
- Items of personal nature.
- Optional start of the tour from Airports: Venice, Ljubljana or Zagreb (transfer to Trieste town).
- Travel Insurance.
- Upgrade with E-bike: Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 E-bike: 30 €/day
- Single supplement: 180 €
- Luggage transfer between accommodations on all days: 400 eur
Arrive to Trieste. We will pick you up at the Trieste airport and take you to your accommodation. After briefing, where you will get bikes with complete equipment and booklet with route description and maps, you will have free rest of the day to explore this beautiful port town.
Accommodation hotel in Trieste***, half-board.
Trieste to Portorož
In the morning you will start cycling to the beginning of the Parenzana trail. You will cycle all the way to the coastal town of Portorož via Koper (36-40km). Free afternoon to enjoy one of many beaches in Portorož.
Accommodation hotel in Portorož***, half-board.
Portorož - Motovun
After leaving Portorož and cycling past Sečovlje salt flats, you will cross the Croatian border and cycle on the most scenic part of Parenzana, through historic hilltop towns of Grožnjan and Buje to Motovun (53 kilometres).
Accommodation hotel in Motovun***, half-board.
Motovun to Poreč
Today's route will lead you past small villages, olive groves and vineyards. Enjoy the magnificent views all the way to town of Poreč (33 kilometres).
Accommodation hotel in Poreč***, half-board.
Poreč to Rovinj
Cycling mainly by the coast and having splendid sea views, you will cycle from Poreč to Rovinj (38 kilometres).
Accommodation hotel in Rovinj***, half-board.
Rovinj - Pula
Cycle from Rovinj to Pula (40 kilometres). On your way stop in the historic stone town Bale and village Vodnjan that has been inhabited since the Antique times. In the afternoon, make sure you visit the magnificent, UNESCO heritage Roman Arena, nearly 2000-year-old and one of the most well preserved arenas in the world.
Accommodation hotel in Pula***, half-board.
Trip concludes after breakfast. A private transfer will take you to Trieste airport.
Accommodation is in a combination of 3* and 4* hotels, which are comfortable and with breakfast.
Day 1: 3* Hotel in Trieste / Double room with breakfast.
Day 2: 3* Hotel in Portorož / Double room with breakfast.
Day 3: 3* Hotel in Motovun / Double room with breakfast.
Day 4: 3* Hotel in Poreč / Double room with breakfast.
Day 5: 4* Hotel in Rovinj / Double room with breakfast.
Day 6: 3* Hotel in Pula / Double room with breakfast.
Trek Hybrid DS 3 and DS 4
Upgrade with E-bike:
Trek Super Commuter Hybrid E-bike
- Shoes – sneakers or any appropriate shoes for biking
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof, softshell
- Comfortable clothes
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, any other sun protection
- Water bottle (preferably reusable)
- First aid (a small basic kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, gauze, antibacterial ointment, sterile pads)
The tour is considered to be moderate to challenging. There is an average of 40 kilometres of biking each day with many ascends and descends. A good physical condition is essential.
The tour is not appropriate for children younger than 15 years and for pregnant women.
- Breakfast is included in every accommodation. You will have plenty of opportunities to stop in local restaurants and shops all along the way for lunches, snacks and dinners.
- We advise that you to start your daily trips early in the morning to allow yourself enough time to stop often and enjoy the scenery! And escape the hot summer sun!
- As the weather can change quickly, do not forget to bring your rain-covers and a change of extra dry clothes. We also advise that you to place pack things in plastic bags before packing them in the waterproof panniers.
- All customers are required to notify us before booking the tour of any medical conditions, as well as dietary restrictions. All medications can and should be brought to all activities in the program. If you suffer from any medical conditions, we strongly suggest that you consult your physician before booking a tour to receive an expert medical advice. We are more than happy to discuss and recommend the most suitable adventure for you based on your conditions, but cannot ultimately be responsible for your health.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.
You will get bikes with full equipment – bike panniers, spare tire and repair kit, bike lock and helmet.
- You will be travelling with panniers attached to your bikes, so be ready to pack accordingly.
- You can keep your remaining luggage with our representative, who will deliver it to you on last day.
- Upon request a day-by-day luggage transfer can be organised. Send us an email for more details.
- Each day you will be staying in a different accommodation. You will be staying in smaller 3* hotels in double/twin rooms.
- The example of the room: