Juliana Gravel Biking – Slovenia, Italyfrom
Adventurous gravel bike tour with biking around Julian Alps in Slovenia and Italy. An amazing gravel biking experience in the heart of Julian Alps and Triglav National Park with rides on gravel roads, trails, distant roads, ... Explore the beauty of the pure and intact alpine nature by gravel bike. Juliana Gravel Bike is one of the most beautiful circular adventurous bike tour.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeCycling, Gravel Biking - Bikepacking, MTB/Gravel
Activity Level Strenuous
Group Size Medium Group
Adventurous gravel bike tour with biking around the Julian Alps in Slovenia and Italy. An amazing gravel biking experience in the heart of Julian Alps and Triglav National Park with rides on gravel roads, trails, distant roads, ... Explore the beauty of the pure and intact alpine nature by gravel bike. Juliana Gravel Bike is one of the most beautiful circular adventurous bike tour.
A Juliana gravel bike trail takes you where you will feel the true pulse of life in the Julian Alps and learn about the rich natural and cultural heritage. This tour takes you mostly along gravel roads which is surrounded by forest, rivers, mountains, remote farms ... We have designed your perfect gravel cycling experience around Julian Alps that combines great riding and exploring everything you love about the journey.
- Stunning mountain scenery in the Julian Alps.
- Unique gravel bike roads around Triglav National Park.
- Beautiful towns of Bled, Tolmin, Valbruna, Kranjska Gora, Kobarid, Tarvisio, ...
- Explore Lake Bohinj and Lake Bled.
- Enjoy Dogna and Valbruna Valley on the east side of Julian Alps.
- Beautiful Soča Valley - Emerald color river valley.
- The valley of Resia Mountain: an incredible landscaped patrimony.
- Ride on Gravel Epic event section (60 km).
- Stay in charming alpine accommodations.
- Taste the richness of the Slovenian and Italian culinary.
The Julian Alps cover an estimated 4,400 km2. They are divided into the Eastern and Western Julian Alps. There are many peaks in the Eastern Julian Alps over 2,000 m high, and they are mainly parts of ridges. The most prominent peaks are visible by their height and size.The kings of this mountain range is Triglav (2,864 metres), Slovenia’s highest mountain and the symbol of the Slovenian nation The Western Julian Alps cover a much smaller area, and are located mainly in Italy. The kings of this mountain range is Jof di Montasio (2,752 metres), the highest mountain in Western Julian Alps.
- Duration: 6 days / 5 nights
- Activity: Gravel bike tour
- Ride type: Gravel roads, tarmac, single trails ...
- Length: 338 km / Elevation: 8.890 m
- Grade: Moderate.
- Bike Skill level: Intermediate (advanced+ is max.)
- Bike Fitness level: Level 4-5 (level 7 is max.)
- Accommodation: 3*/4* hotels and private accommodation
- Price: 695€
- Date: From May 15th to October 30th
- Start of the tour: Every Day
- Start location: Lesce, Slovenia
- Note: We can organise a private guided group from just 4 bikers with our experienced and licensed guides. Please, contact us.
What is bikepacking?
When you take the best parts of gravel biking and the best parts of backpacking and put them together, you get BIKEpacking. Ride, stay in simple accommodation or camp, repeat. Unlike our classic bike touring, bikepacking is done primarily off-road on trails and mixed terrain with gravel bike. During the usual bikepacking, one sleeps in a tent out in the open air, but we adjusted the gravel bike tour and included intermediate-simple-family run hotels and mountain huts accommodations.
- Full organisation of the tour.
- 5 nights in 3* hotel accommodation or private apartments, farmhouse.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 with a welcome drink.
- LIFE Bike Booklet with detailed itinerary, route instructions and all details with vouchers.
- GPS track for all stages/days.
- Navigation pack: APP for phone or tablet with phone holder.
- Main luggage storage.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to Slovenia (the start point of the tour)
- Food and drinks: all food and drinks, except breakfast at the accommodation
- Items of personal nature
- Travel Insurance
- Bike rental
High season surcharge: 140€ (June 15th to September 15th)
- * Bike rental: Trek Checkpoint Garvel: 40€/day
- Rental Ortlieb waterproof frame pack, seat pack, handlebar pack, gravel bags for luggage: 60€
- Single supplement: 280 €
- Day-to-day luggage transfer: 350€
- Garmin GPS device rental: 50€
* bike rental includes: bike rental with helmet, simple rain cover jackets, lock, pump, spare tube, Squirt chain lube and repair kit.
Lesce to Lake Bohinj via Lake Bled
A day on the bike, which will take us past Lake Bled, on some of the most beautiful roads by Sava Bohinjka river and across the marvelous plateau of Jelovica. At the last part of today’s route the trail will impress us with a view of the Bohinj Valley and Julian Alps, where the mighty Mount Triglav stands. A descent on excellent gravel roads to Bohinj Lake will take us to the right side of the valley. A picturesque stage with open views of the Julian Alps.
- Morning introductory meeting.
- Biking from past Bled to Lake Bohinj.
- You will ride a distance of 50 km on the Gravel Epic Event trail.
- Accommodation: Hotel or private accommodation, Bohinj
- 60.5 km / C-998 m, D-904 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 85%, asphalt/tarmac 15%
Lake Bohinj to Tolmin
A somewhat longer stage, which runs across a bit secluded places at the southern parts of the Julian Alps. The roads lead us through beautiful areas, past remote villages and farms. In the last part the route takes us to the valley of the Soča river, which is known for its amazing emerald color. A marvelous day for all nostalgic bikers and true adventurers.
- Breakfast in hotel or reastaurant.
- Biking from Lake Bohinj to Tolmin.
- Accommodation: Hotel or private accommodation, Tolmin
- 72.8 km / C+1757 m, D-1980 m / 5-7 h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 25%, wide single roads 5%
Tolmin to Breginj Village
Today’s stage runs across the high mountains above the Soča River and below Mount Krn. From there, we descend back to this beautiful and fascinating emerald color river to cross it and connect the westernmost part of slovenia. A day full of true mountain challenges.
- Breakfast in hotel.
- Biking from Tolmin to Breginj via Kobarid.
- Accommodation in Private apartment or farmhouse***, Breginj.
- 58.8 km / C-1960 m, D-1610 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 30%
Breginj to Resiutta (I)
From Breginj area, the westernmost part of Slovenia we will connect the remote valley of Rezija with cycling through the well-known Kobariški stol (Mt Kobariški Stol). An amazing riding day.
- Breakfast in private apartments/farmhouse.
- Biking from Breginj to Resiutta (Italy).
- Accommodation: Hotel or private accommodation, Resiutta.
- 52.4 km / C-1.850 m, D-1.990 m 6-7h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 30%
Resiutta to Kranjska Gora
Today’s stage takes us through the beautiful western parts of the Julian Alps with the mighty mountains of Montaž and Viš. Cycling through the valleys of Dogna and Valbruna will surely delight us with the true Alpine scenery. In the last part of the route we connect to the valley of the Sava River. Real Alpine delight.
- Breakfast in hotel.
- BIking from Resiutta (Italy) to Kranjska Gora (Slovenia) via Dogna and Valbruna valley
- Biking option: Via Riofreddo valley.
- Accommodation: Hotel or private accommodation, Kranjska Gora
- Option via Valbruna: 66.5 km / C-1365m, D-872 m / 6-7h.
- Option via Riofreddo: 74.7 km / C-2027m, D-1535 m / 6-7h.
- gravel 60%, asphalt/tarmac 38%, 2% single roads.
Kranjska Gora to Lesce
Today’s route runs through the valley of Sava river, on the eastern side of the Julian Alps. We ascend from the valley to the heart of the Karavanke mountains, where we cycle on the Karavanke mountain trail to the mountain hut with magnificent views of the Julian Alps. The last part of the route is a pleasant descent into the heart of the Gorenjska Plain and Radovljica old town and to Lesce near Bled where the stage ends. An eventful day with views of the eastern part of the Julian Alps.
- Breakfast in hotel or restaurant.
- Biking from Kranjska Gora to Lesce via Mojstrana and Radovljica old town.
- You will ride a distance of 30 km on Trans Karawanken Trail.
- 57.5 km / C-1218 m, D-1589 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 28%, 1% single roads.
Accommodation is in 3/4* hotels and tourist farm:
Day 1: 3* Hotel in Bohinj / Double room.
Day 2: 3/4* Hotel in Tolmin / Double room.
Day 3: 3/4* Private accommodation in Breginj / Double room.
Day 4: 3* Hotel in Resiutta / Double room.
Day 5: 3* Hotel in Kranjska Gora/ Double room.
We are specialists for self guided tours and holidays throughout Croatia and Slovenia, with creative itineraries that feature the best of each region at the greatest possible value to you. With over 15 years of experience, we know all the secrets of self guided tours.
We are a team, which passionately believes that adventure and sustainable travel makes the world a better place. We are committed to creating unique stories, successful tours, itineraries and holidays.
At LIFE Adventures we have carefully chosen itineraries to showcase the best of the region. Our itineraries are designed with flexibility and comfort in mind. In many places we stay for two nights, giving you the option to cycle, walk or take a break and relax instead.
- Shoes – sneakers or any appropriate shoes for biking
- Jacket – warm, wind & waterproof, softshell
- Comfortable clothes
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, any other sun protection
- Water bottle (preferably reusable)
- First aid (a small basic kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, gauze, antibacterial ointment, sterile pads)
- Breakfast is included in every accommodation. You will have plenty of opportunities to stop in local restaurants and shops all along the way for lunches, snacks and dinners.
- We advise that you to start your daily trips early in the morning to allow yourself enough time to stop often and enjoy the scenery! And escape the hot summer sun!
- As the weather can change quickly, do not forget to bring your rain-covers and a change of extra dry clothes. We also advise that you to place pack things in plastic bags before packing them in the waterproof panniers.
- The tour is not appropriate for pregnant women and minors.
- All customers are required to notify us before booking the tour of any medical conditions, as well as dietary restrictions. All medications can and should be brought to all activities in the program. If you suffer from any medical conditions, we strongly suggest that you consult your physician before booking a tour to receive an expert medical advice. We are more than happy to discuss and recommend the most suitable adventure for you based on your conditions, but cannot ultimately be responsible for your health.
- You will be travelling with panniers attached to your bikes, so be ready to pack accordingly. You can keep your remaining luggage with our representative, who will deliver it to you on last day.
We suggest that you travel with a comprehensive travel insurance, including emergency evacuation coverage. We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance that includes cancellation protection so that you will be covered in the event that you are unable to attend our trip (due to injury, illness or other unforeseen circumstances). We do not provide travel insurance for our clients. Please contact your local travel agent to purchase travel insurance. As coverage and a price of the insurance changes depending on your travel destination, do make sure that you purchase a coverage for all countries you will be traveling in on your adventure.